Sunday, November 20, 2011

Creating the Mean Mug & Slim Teaser

I have been wanting to create a 3rd episode of Mean Mug & Slim and really change it up. I thought the first two episodes were fine but they were a little cheesy and safe, I want to push the boundaries a bit and have some more fun. I also wanted to try and see if I can use video or photographs as a background instead of creating illustrated backgrounds. I figured this could look cool and also save me time in the production of an episode. So to complete this I knew I needed two things.

1. The illustrator file of Slim, broken out into individual layers and labeled appropriately (this is necessary for what I do in After Effects)
Click to Englarge
2. A video for the background (but below is just a still image because you get the idea)
Click to Enlarge
The next step is to bring Slim into After Effects. When importing you want to select the option Composition - Retain Layer Sizes because this will keep all our layers exactly as we had them in Illustrator so our character is easy to animate.
Click to Enlarge
Next, parent the appropriate body parts (arms to torso), and use puppet pins to create bends in the limbs.
Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge
Now Slim is ready to animate. I kept the animation simple because this was only a test to see if the look would work.  So I placed Slim into a separate sequence with my video and masked out a section to hide him behind the table. The initial result looked pretty good!
Click to Enlarge
However there is a problem. My camera footage is shaky because it is hand held, and Slim doesn't stay in the same spot on the couch. Well to solve for this I simply motion tracked the position and rotation of my video and applied all keyframes to a Null layer named Null 1.  I then parented my Slim sequence to the Null 1 and everything was good to go again. In the end the motion gives the piece a realistic quality that I enjoy.
Click to Enlarge

Motion tracking rotation based on the corner of my table. Keeping the position and rotation points far apart is key.
Motion tracking position based on the red light of my video game controller. A high contrast area is key.
After this it's just about adding those little touches to really pull everything together. A simple title, shadows on the wall and under Slim for weight, and a color ramp with a lighten mode over everything to pump up the lighting.
Click to Enlarge
The final product came out as good as I could have hoped so I plan to go ahead with this process in the future. We will see if I run into any interesting problems as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment