Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Super Nintendo Blow

I recently stumbled upon the site, Loop de Loop, which holds a monthly animation contest where all entries must loop.  I thought this was a really cool idea and I just happened to be inspired by June's theme - Play.  I immediately thought of playing videogames as a kid, and having to constantly blow into my game cartridges to keep the games working. It sounded like the perfect idea for a looping video and below is the result. What's special about this particular animation was that I created it in a totally different way from my Mean Mug & Slim videos.  Normally I would create the character I wanted to animate in Illustrator and use the After Effects Puppet Tool to make the arms and legs move.  For this piece I chose something closer to traditional animation.  While in Illustrator it dawned on me how easy it would be to just draw a series of arm movements on different layers, and then bring them into AE and simply turn them on and off in sequence to create a movement. I'm pleased with the result and am thinking there may be more of this type of animation in my future.  Stylistically I was greatly inspired by the always amazing work of Andy G and for extra inspiration I referenced this old post I made about traditional animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment