Monday, February 18, 2013

MeanMug Loves Guns Episode 5

Yes, it's finally here. Another record breaking episode of MeanMug Loves Guns. This one has yet again pushed the limits of time, now reaching the 2 minute mark exactly. As if that wasn't enough, this episode also pays tribute to one of my favorite movies of all time, Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

Now let's talk a little bit about how I came about this episode. For those of you that follow me, you may remember that my goal is to create 10 episodes in this particular series. I have all the guns picked out already, but aside from that, nothing is pre-planned. So when it's time to start making a new episode, I take a look at my list of guns, and I see what jumps out at me. For the big "mid season" episode I knew I would have to do something fairly epic, and what's a cartoon series about guns without a shotgun? The decision was clear, but there are so many different types of shotguns out there that the possibilities are endless. Do I want a sawed off shotgun? Pump action? Double Barrel? Then it hit me. It hit me like a shotgun blast of rock salt to the chest. Terminator 2 has one of the most iconic shotguns around - the Winchester Model 1887 with sawn-off stock, barrel, and cutaway trigger guard with standard lever loop, known as the "Rosebox Shotgun" (this information came courtesy of Wikipedia. I found out while doing research for this episode that you can find detailed information about the guns of pretty much any film). Not only is it sweet seeing Arnold cock this bad boy with one hand while driving his Harley, but the rose box reveal during The Galleria Scene from Terminator 2 has always been one of my favorite moments in movie history. So why not try and recreate it? Another goal of mine throughout this series has been to work on varying the angles I use in my cartoons to have a more cinematic feel, and nothing gives me better practice than literally building shots based off a movie. Many shots are exact recreations; however, the scene is not shot for shot because that wouldn't be adding anything new. I don't want to give too much away so I'll let you experience the rest on your own. Enjoy and keep an eye out for the next episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment