Friday, September 1, 2017

Day 234/235: Devin

Recently had the pleasure of doing a commission for someone who reached out to me.  It's not very often I do these sort of things, but I was excited to give it a try none the less.

Basically Devin reached out to me looking for a new avatar to use for his social media.  He also wanted a short animation featuring the character.  He sent me some references of my work he liked and some other personality notes.  From there I got to work in Illustrator.

I didn't sketch this one out, just went straight into illustrator working with shapes. I first created the portrait, seeing as how that was the most detailed and important aspect, and then moved on to creating a body for the animation.



Once I had all the art created I went into After Effects, rigged him up with Duik, and began concepting what I wanted the animation to be.  Devin had mentioned wanting it to be basketball related, so I went with that.  My initial idea was to have him running and dribbling, but since I always do run/walk cycles, I challenged myself to think a little harder on it. I then came up with the idea of playing with the basketball a little. There's so many different things you can do with the basketball that are fun to animate.  Below is the result.



The client was happy with everything but the color palette...but I like the original better ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment